On 5th November 2019, the Macau Official Gazette announced the publication of the new arbitration law of Macau, which will come into force in early May 2020. The new law introduces important amendments to the arbitration legal framework of Macau. Morais Leitao Galvao Teles Soares da Silva provide an overview of the legislation, noting the following key changes:
- A single ordinance for both domestic and international arbitrations;
- The expanded scope of what constitutes an arbitration agreement in writing;
- Enhanced protections in emergency situations;
- Procedure for requesting judicial court’s assistance in taking of evidence;
- Possibility of challenging the arbitral award before another arbitral tribunal;
- Arbitration of administrative disputes.